It’s always nice to relax around a campfire on a fine summer evening. Provided that there is no ban on outdoor fires, SOPFEU encourages you to enjoy your campfire safely, by following a few basic rules.
- Don’t make a campfire on windy days.
- Wait until dark before lighting your fire, when the air is cooler and more humid.
- If possible, use a fire pit with a spark screen.
- If that is not possible, make your fire on a rocky surface far from trees.
- Make sure your fire is no more than 1 metre across.
- Keep an eye on it, and don’t leave it unattended.
- Before you leave, make sure the fire is out and the ashes are cold.
Test your campfire smarts (in French)
Source: Société de protection des forêts contre le feu (SOPFEU), April 2016